Proudly serving those who have served
We’re proud to do our part in honoring our country’s Veterans, and giving back to those whose sacrifice and patriotism define our great nation. Our duty is to provide you and your family with professional and dignified assistance during your time of need, and to support you in honoring your loved one for their dedication and selfless service. We would be honored to help you make arrangements for any combination of traditional military tributes.
Traditional Elements & Honors
Standard honor military funerals can include:
Veterans Benefits vary from person to person. It can be as simple as a draped flag over the casket or a folded flag next to an urn to full military honors with a 21 gun salute and a bugler to play :Taps” by one of the Military Honor Guard Units. Your funeral director will review your options during the funeral arrangements.
- Transportation costs
(some or all of the cost)
Other Veteran Benefits
In addition to coordinating honors related to the service itself, we can help you communicate with the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to arrange for:
- A Presidential Memorial Certificate. This is a certificate expressing the nation’s recognition of the veteran’s service. The veteran’s name is inscribed and the certificate bears the signature of the president. Certificates are issued in the name of honorably discharged, deceased veterans. Contact us for assistance in applying for a Presidential Memorial Certificate, and we would be happy to guide you through the process.
- Headstones or Markers. The VA provides headstones and markers for the graves of veterans anywhere in the world and for eligible dependents of veterans buried in national, state veteran or military cemeteries.
- Memorial Plots. If an eligible veteran’s remains are not available for burial, the VA will provide a plot and headstone or marker in a national cemetery for memorialization. If you wish to place the memorial in a cemetery other than a national cemetery, the VA will provide the headstone or marker but not the plot itself.
- Burial in a VA National Cemetery. This includes the gravesite, opening and closing of the grave,a grave box, and perpetual care.
- Reimbursement of Burial Expenses. For information on eligibility and the different levels of potential reimbursement, please review their Guide to VA Burial Allowances.
How are Social Security and Veterans’ benefits handled?
Good Shepherd Funeral Home will notify both agencies. Social Security pays a lump sum death benefit directly to the spouse. Veterans receive cash benefits based on disability or other requirements.
How do I make advance arrangements with Good Shepherd Funeral Home?
Send a copy of your discharge papers (DD214) that we will keep in our permanent files. If you wish, call us and we will handle all details over the phone.
What are Veterans honor services?
Military honors are available to all Veterans regardless of rank or location of burial. If you are retired military with 20 years or more of service, we will call and request an active duty honor guard from your branch of service. The ceremony will consist of a Chaplain to speak, flag folding and presentation to next of kin, rifle salute and the playing of TAPS.
Honorably Discharged Veterans with less than 20 years
Currently, we call volunteer, local Veterans groups for Military Honors requests. Typically these are retired veterans with incredible service histories. The ceremony will consist of a Chaplain to speak, flag folding, presentation and the playing of TAPS. Rifle Salute is not regulation but is often offered. Payment is not required but these groups accept donations.
Burial Flag & Wood Flag Cases
The United States Postal Service provides a flag for any Veteran deaths. We stock wood cases that can be used to house the flags for display.
What are options for Veteran cemeteries?
All Veterans, and possibly their spouses and children, are entitled to free cemetery spaces, grave opening/closing, grave liner and headstone at a VA cemetery. We will work with you to get you available options.
Want More Information?
Veterans funeral and burial benefits can be complicated! We’ve answered the toughest questions on eligibility, benefits and reimbursement for those who have served. We have even added a section on grief for Veterans. Download our complimentary PDF today!